Sunday, December 20, 2015

Where did winter go? And other year end's thoughts.

I tried to make myself a goal to blog more often. However, I admit that I haven't been doing a good job of this.

In my last post, I expressed my happiness that the long brutal winter of 2014-2015 was done.

Now I am wondering where winter is. Don't get me wrong, sunshine and warmth are great things. But I believe in moderation :) Also, I want to go skiing. Badly.

No real major trips this year after the Salt Lake City trip which I talked about in March. I spent some time in the Adirondacks with Ben's family. Thanks to the lack of internet and phone service, I was able to disconnect completely and forget about the outside world.

(Note: I did not take any of these photos in the Adirondacks)

 
Calm, peaceful mornings on Fourth Lake

Had some tubing action. I asked for Ben's dad (boat captain) to increase the intensity. He did.

Roasting marshmallows over the campfire one evening

The only other major trip of note was visiting Ben's parents in Asheville, NC for Thanksgiving. What a great town - yes, it may be almost too hipster for me... but the beer... the food... and the great scenery. There is a lot to love.
A whole site dedicated to sour/barrel aged beers? Awesome. I love the Funkatorium.

Asheville is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, right along the scenic and twisty Blue Ridge Parkway (although we did get carsick)


Took a short "hike" to the peak of Craggy Gardens, at 5892' elevation. Great view, and great weather for Thanksgiving Day!

Since it is the end of the year and almost the start of the New Year, I feel it is appropriate to keep talking about my goals for the next year and reflect upon where I have done well this year.

Of all the nerdy activities I do (which is pretty much everything, considering I work as an engineer full time, and then do more nerdy things are home), I decided that I need an external source of motivation to achieve my goals. This external source of motivation came in the form of fake "gold" and XP in an online RPG community called Habitica, in which users can gain experience, buy equipment, and gain gold by completing daily tasks, checking things off their to-do lists, or engaging in good habits.

I started using Habitica sometime in the spring, and it has really helped me feel more motivated to get things done so I can buy imaginary equipment or gain random foods to feed my pets. Why does having fake pets, fake gold, and fake armor and equipment motivate me? I have no idea, but it seems to work, so I don't question it further.

So as a result, I have been going to the gym much more regularly. When I go to the gym now, I actively have a plan of which muscles I would like to focus on. Although I still look pretty much the same (skinny), I feel stronger and there may be a small hint of a bump on my upper arms, where my biceps should be :)

Some of my goals for 2016:

1. Continue to exercise, but do it with some goals:
- I want to ski moguls and trees this year. I may not be an expert overnight, but I do want to gain the confidence to be able to take on a good number of mogul trails and glade runs at any given resort.
- I want to ski for longer with less fatigue. I think doing more leg exercises at the gym and more cardio will help me in this effort. I certainly need this when I head for Alta and Snowbird this coming February!
- I need to rock climb more often. Sadly I am perpetually stuck at the 5.9 level and would like to progress to climbing 5.10s regularly. However, I think that because I am becoming more serious about weight lifting, I can focus on muscles and strength that can help me.
- Continue to go to the gym on a regular basis. Help my tight muscles relax with the use of a foam roller.

2. Make plans to have fun.
This was on my goal list for 2015, and it will remain on my goal list this year. I have felt as though I have become closer with some friends and found some people that I really like and do hang out on a regular basis. They enjoy similar activities and so we invite each other to various activities. I like that and would like to continue the trend.

That's it. Two goals. Make it short and simple. And attainable. I thought about adding some goals about being ambitious in work, but then again... it's work. Let's enjoy life!






3 comments:

  1. "... buy imaginary equipment or gain random foods to feed my pets." HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These articles and blogs are truly enough for me for a day. Amazing Pet Expos

    ReplyDelete